Monday, December 29, 2008

2008, a Year in Review

Meme questionnaire from Fat Bridesmaid.

Was 2008 good for you?


Mostly, yes. As usual, money keeps coming up as an issue, but I don't see that as ever stopping. If I have more money, I'll just spend more money. But I lost 65 pounds, I gained several good, healthy habits. I learned more about how to budget my time and money. I have learned how to make and keep lists, and I've learned more about how to keep up with my housework.

What was your favorite moment of the year?

Being fussed over at the Express while getting my dress for Thomas's office party.

What was your worst moment of the year?

Strangely enough, I don't think I really had a worst moment this year. Nothing leaps to mind, at any rate. We had the usual money woes, but managed to get through another year without having to hit anyone up for a loan. There were some illnesses in friends and family members, but everyone's gotten better or gotten adjusted. I didn't even quit a guild this year!

Where were you when 2008 began?

Chesapeake, Virginia

Who were you with?

My husband and my daughter, and two completely annoying felines.

Where will you be when 2008 ends?

Chesapeake, Virginia

Did you keep your new years resolution of 2008?

Shockingly enough, yes. I resolved to start eating better and start some sort of exercise program. Both of these things I have managed to keep doing for the year. I also resolved to attempt to keep a better grip on my housework, which I have done (thanks Flylady!). I've lost 65 pounds this year, I walk at least 10 miles every week. I also finished up my resolution from 2006, when I decided to get all my dental work done. Wow, that one took a while to accomplish.

Do you have a new years resolution for 2009?

Like with my 2006 resolution of getting my teeth fixed, the 'getting healthy' resolution is a work in progress. I still have a little less than 30 pounds to go to finish up my weight loss. I'd like to start and work on writing my half of the book that Thomas and I have in the works. I don't have any specific plans or anything, yet, this year. I frequently don't really nail down resolutions on Jan 1. Sometimes they show up before the year's end, and sometimes they don't show up until March... just depends. I don't think there's really a target date for setting goals... even if Jan 1 is convenient.

Did you fall in love in 2008? If yes, with who?

Yes. With my husband. I never fell out of love with him, mind, but sometimes it seems a little less urgent than it used to, you know? And as much as I do love him, I occasionally take him for granted, or dismiss him from consideration. I'd gotten particularly used to thinking of him as a slug; someone who didn't do much of anything unless he was forced to... I've been constantly, and continually, impressed with him this year. Not to mention the fact that he's LOADS better looking than he used to be. Which is always nice.

Are you still in love?

Abso-fraggin'-lutely.

Did you breakup with anyone in 2008?

Nope.

Did you make any new friends in 2008?

Yes. Leslie and Tommy P. Ashley. Beth. My Evil Twin! Loads and loads of online friends.

Who are your favorite new friends?

Leslie!! And Beth!

What was your favorite month of 2008? Why this month?

February was good. Thomas and I had our 10th year anniversary and enjoyed some vacation time. June was good, too.

Did you travel outside of the US (or your home country) in 2008?

Nope.

How many different places did you travel to in 2008?

We went to North Carolina twice...

Did you miss anybody in the past year?

I wouldn't mind seeing Ashby again... he's a wretched corespondent.

What was your favorite movie that you saw in 2008?

Kung Fu Panda!

What was your favorite song from 2008? 



I Kissed a Girl, Katy Perry

How many concerts or plays did you see in 2008?

Zero

What was your favorite book in 2008?

Guess it was Twilight... didn't really read much of anything new this year...

How many people did you sleep with in 2008?

Just my husband... but I slept with him A LOT.

Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?

Aside from a fudge binge, no, not really...

What was the biggest lie you told in 2008?

Told my dad that I'd been planning to take him to dinner for his 60th birthday, but honestly, I'd forgotten it was his 60th birthday until after the fact. Fortunately, because he didn't come down to drop off the child, as had been planned, instead he foisted it off on his sister-in-law to bring the child back to us, I was able to act all indignant and stuff.

Did you treat somebody badly in 2008?

Probably. No one's come to me with an Issue though, so I remain blissfully ignorant.

Did somebody treat you badly in 2008?

From time to time, but not enough so for me to have a little Sit Down with them to discuss it.

What was your proudest moment of 2008?

You know, I'd love to have one of these... but I spend entirely too much time belittling my own accomplishments for much pride. I can think of some moments that I should be proud of, that I want to be proud of... and yet, I don't seem to harbor much glow of satisfaction over them. God, I'm fucked up. slightly pathetic. Maybe I'll make working on my (lack of) self-esteem one of my goals for 2009.

What was your most embarrassing moment of 2008?

I don't think I had one... altho maybe I'm just repressing it, but I can't remember doing anything particularly humiliating in public...


If you could go back to any moment of 2008 and change something, what would it be?

Never. happen. I never want to change anything. Even when I want to, I don't. What happened, no matter how upsetting or ridiculous it was, makes me the person I am today, and you just never know how changing one thing will mess up too many other things. I am reasonably content with my life. I don't want it to be different.

Where did you work in 2008?

I am happy and content in my well-paying job. Housewife. I never leave the house.

Favorite TV shows(s) of 2008?

Heroes, Season 1

Favorite Band(s) of 2008?

P!nk

Favorite Food in 2008?

Does chewing gum count? If so, Trident lime-strawberry splash.

Favorite Drink in 2008?

Diet Coke with Lime

Favorite Place in 2008?



Outer Banks, NC

Favorite person(s) to be with in 2008?

my husband
my daughter
Leslie

Favorite person(s) to talk to in 2008?

My Evil Twin, Val

Favorite trip in 2008?

Day trip to OBX with Jeanne and Leigh and spouse and child.

Favorite stores in 2008?

Express

Hardest thing you had to go through in 2008?

My clothes. Over and over again, tossing stuff that doesn't fit. Speaking of which, it's time to purge the XL shirts...

Most exciting moment(s) in 2008?

Fitting into a size 12 jeans for the first time since 1991

Funniest moment(s) in 2008?

Conversation with Child:
Darcy: Mommy, why are you buying new clothes?
Me: Nothing fits anymore because I lost some weight...
Darcy: ::patting my arm with great sympathy:: Don't worry, Mommy, we'll find your weight for you!

Year in Review

A bit before the beginning of 2008, my husband and I decide to go on a diet.

January, we find out my best friend's daughter is diabetic, and I deal with embracing my own problems.

In February, I joined the Healthy You Challenge, went on a long weekend trip to OBX, and started the long term project of working on my attitude.

March came along, and I abandoned the Flex plan for Core, had some personal issues with friends, and had a bra intervention.

In April, my husband had his birthday party, I dropped below 200 pounds, got to my 10% weight loss goal, and went for my first run.

May came along and I spent a while being sick... I also discussed our household philosophy, and learn to make better bad choices.

June was a fun month... we went to OBX with some friends, and I went off the reservation. I rant about my lack of feminity and trouble finding "small rewards" for my weight loss (and my husband makes theoretical physics discussions about his male bits...)

In July, my weight got down to nearly forgotten territories, as I hit my second 10% goal. (At 178, I had, by this point, dropped nearly 40 pounds!) I ended up getting new bras again, and had a great moment when I realized I was no longer compensating for being overweight.

In August, I talk philosophy and lose 45 pounds. I show off my massively overdeveloped (altho, similarly massively underused) brain, and get taken off the asthma medications that I had been taking for better than 10 years.

With September and the beginning of Fall, I fell off the BMI-Obese charts. I talk about my problems with my self-image in a post replete with Star Wars imagry... I do the Math on Weight Watchers and I discuss the many different kinds of good weather.

October sees my daughter's birthday, me into a size 12, a great side by side comparison picture and my guest post over at MizFit, which was so totally cool I can't begin to explain it!

November, in which we descend into the depths of the "holiday season", my first real plateau, in which I spend the better part of six weeks playing with the same 5 pounds... I discuss what I'm grateful for, and I make Some Plans.

And finally, December, the end of a long, strange trip... I had a good Thanksgiving, a great shopping experience, and Weight Watchers updates its Plans...

3 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

A great year! Hope 2009 is even better for you!

Anonymous said...

I adore these memes as I love the behind the scenes insights.

and what stuck with me is your use of the words less urgent with regards to love.

I really like that as it isnt, IMO, diminished but less PANICKED.

stronger somehow.

thanks for sharing.

Hanlie said...

You certainly had a phenomenal year! And I hope you sleep with your husband a lot in 2009 too! I find that as the weight drops off, this becomes more like fun and less like work, n'est-ce-pas?