Monday, April 28, 2008

A Conversation

Yesterday, we went down to the beach house to visit my Aunt Gayle. The beach house belongs jointly to my step-mom, Rosie and Aunt Gayle, who is Rosie's younger sister. There's actually two houses there, the main house which is a 5 bedroom, 2 car garage luxury home that they rent out to a family for some ridiculous monthly payment. Behind it is a small, two bedroom 'cottage' that's somewhat smaller than my apartment, but it's not too bad.

Gayle works for the federal government up in DC for the geological something or other department. Anyway, she's helping Thomas work on getting a job with the government. I think we'd like that, since the schools in DC are loads better than the ones down here, as well as the fact that Thomas has been with Evil French Corporation for six years now, and he's getting really fed up with their policies. While I harbor my doubts about any job really being all that much better, it's his job, so...

In any case, since Thomas and I blew a bunch of points for some fried appetizer at Ruby Tuesdays' this weekend (mmmmmmm. Cheese sticks!) I decided to bring food with us and cook. I made Asian basa with dijon butter, barley, and peas, with fat free pudding for dessert. Aunt Gayle was pretty impressed with my cooking...

Anyway, we're headed home and Darcy's still taking pictures with her camera (which is VERY distracting in a dark car!!) and she snapped a picture of me.

"Oh, Mommy!" she said. "It's a picture!"

"Yes, sweetie," I said. I sighed. I still had spots in front of my eyes from the flash going off. I don't know how Thomas managed to keep driving with that camera going off every 60 seconds or so...

"Mommy's so pretty!" she said.

"Heh," I said. I turned to Thomas. "I'm going to enjoy this."

"What?"

"Darcy thinking I'm pretty," I said. "It won't last very long."

"Pffft," he said. "I think you're pretty."

"You do?" I'm absolutely certain he's never actually said that to me before. He's said I look "nice" and "fine" in response to "Do I look ok?" and occasionally in response to my complaining about the weather ("I'm HOT" "I always thought so.") but he's never said "pretty" before.

"You don't have to sound so shocked."

6 comments:

Hanlie said...

These men of ours! They always know how to keep us on our toes!

I loved the picture of you in the dress! You look wonderful!

R.Shack said...

Aw, we all think you're pretty.

Oh man if you're in DC you'd be so close to me, we could walk together sometime or something :)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

mmmm, cheese sticks! I hope you enjoyed them! :)

Your weekend sounds lovely. I {heart} Thomas a little bit. :)

Manuela said...

Kids are great for their honesty. Funny how you can trust them but not grownups (I always feel a little suspicious of comments!)

Have a great week and I love cheese sticks! Sounds like a nice treat.

Anonymous said...

Awww...misting up here.

You are pretty. Beautiful in fact.

V.

Anonymous said...

you know, sometimes kids say the most honest, sweetest things. hold that compliment in your heart, because it is the most honest compliment you will ever get! you should be so proud to be a positive role model for your child. keep up the great work!