Friday, March 7, 2008

Living in CHAOS! or Blog Party, part One

Hey, you!

What are you doing here? Blog party? Is it the 7th already? Oh, god, it is!

Well, don't just stand there in the doorway, come in. I'm not really ready yet, though. You know how it is, living with a four year old... CHAOS everywhere (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!) Sorry about the mess... oh, careful, you don't want to sit on the sofa just yet. My daughter likes to hide stuff under the couch cushions. Come on in the kitchen. You can lean in the doorway and we'll just chat while I get the dishes done, okay?

Hmmm? Oh, my dress! You like it? So do I. It's just my housedress, but it's really comfy... and it's so colorful, you can't really tell that I've spilled things on it. No, seriously, see those spots? That's bleach, from when I had a bleach pen explode on me a few months ago.

Would you like some chili? I've got the crock pot going. Oh, no, don't worry, it's vegetarian. Only three weight watchers points per serving. I made it with those Soy crumbles, and even Thomas, the "I did not claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat veggies" guy? He couldn't tell the difference. I've got some chopped onions in the fridge, if you want, and there's hot sauce in the breakfront there. No, up one shelf, there. Behind all my Crystal Light flavor tubes. There ya go. Oh, you probably don't want that one. I got given that one as a joke, and it's claw your eyeballs out hot. Yeah, cute bottle, though. Well, maybe not " Cute", exactly. My step dad gave it to me, and he's Texan. You know how those Texans are...

Ah, I'm glad you like it. Yeah, the canned corn adds something to chili, I'm not sure quite what, tho. Little crunch, maybe. I like using the different colored beans, too. Kidney, black beans, navy beans... makes the dish look more fun.

Well, if you're done just toss the bowl in the dish-washer, I'm almost ready to start the load up. Of course you can help, my goodness, we don't stand on ceremony here. The broom's in the closet. My mom used to have this poem on her kitchen wall, but I'm not like that.

Please stay away from my kitchen,
From my dishwashing, cooking and such.
You were kind to have offered to help me,
And I do want to thank you so much.
I hope you won't think me ungracious
When I ask that you leave me alone,
For my kitchen is not very spacious
And my system is strictly my own.
So please stay away of my kitchen,
It may well prevent a few wars,
And if I am invited to your house,
I promise I'll stay out of yours.
Yeah, I think it's cute, too. Not that she really meant it, you know. My grandmother never did, either. The first time my dad brought my mom to his house to meet his mom, she was standing in the doorway, just like you are now, making polite conversation. And my grandmother threw the broom at her. "As long as you're standing there, you may as well sweep the floor."

I promise, though, I won't throw anything at you.

I don't think I caught your name, though. I know, open invitation party and all, it gets hard to keep track of everyone. Fun, though.

Oh, me? Yeah, ok. I'm Lynn. I'm a 35 year old housewife in southern Virginia. I have a bachelor's degree in Victorian Literature (Would you like fries with that?) and I've written a couple novels that haven't been published yet. That raisinette in the bathroom who's been in the tub for over an hour now? That's my daughter, Darcy. She's four. Oh, I said that already, didn't I? Yeah, she's our only. I wouldn't mind another one, though. I love babies.

Oh dear. Sorry about that, yeah, my hand weights. I was working out yesterday and I didn't put them away. They're only three pounders, but I'm working my way up. (Working my weight down? Sorry, bad pun. I know, I know.) Hey, at least I put the tennis rackets away!

Ok, well, you just mingle, and I'm going to get these cheesecake parfaits started. Yeah, I can give you the recipe later, just remind me...

*Update: I have posted the cheesecake recipe here.

Ultimate Blog Party 2008

If selected, these are the prizes I'm most interested in: 56, 41, 103, 76, 8, 24, 58, 60, and 90 Or anything else to do with scrapbooking, being the mom of a 4 year old girlie girl, or nutrition/diet stuff.

23 comments:

A Juggling Mum said...

Hi,

Thanks for inviting me to your party, It was lovely to meet you :)

Rachel xxx
A Juggling Mum

Carolyn said...

YOU
ARE
HILARIOUS!
After reading your 'blog party' entry, I just read some of your other stuff... you truly are a funny and realistic writer! I have to say I'm impressed! I'm a student teacher myself (L.A. mostly, but LOVE drama so much more) and you remind me of some of the coolest peopel I've ever met!
Keep posting!

Anonymous said...

I loved your post! Made me giggle. I'm going to be back to read more...mmm...cheesecake parfaits. Thanks for stopping by my place. It's nice to meet you!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I love your post! :) Happy Blog Party! :) Feel free to stop by mine sometime: http://frugalgranola.blogspot.com/2008/03/ultimate-blog-party-2008.html
We're sipping tea & browsing through Victoria magazine! :)
Blessings,
Michele :)

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you. Found you via the Ultimate Blog Party at 5 Minutes for Mom.

Erin said...

What a great party you are hosting!!

I'm so glad your daughter enjoyed Tinkerbelle on my site!!

Funny thing, I'm a big Eric Carle fan!!

Love the Caterpillar!!

Erin
www.ecomomicsbyerin.blogspot.com

Jus Shar Designs said...

Loving the blog party!

Check out my blog when you get the chance. :-)

Blessed said...

Glad I stopped by - this is a great party and I can completely relate to the CHAOS syndrome!

KC said...

Hey we have the same disorder LOL..
Great Party.. Thanks for the invite and thanks for stopping by mine

2Forgetful said...

Thanks for stopping by my party. You're hosting a great one here! Yummy cheesecake recipe. Are you a flybaby too? (CHAOS is a term I first heard from her.) Really, flylady is what keeps things sane and somewhat clean around my place.

Hope you're enjoying the party!

Brandie said...

Hello! Great party =) I totally know the whole CHAOS thing, but I got over it. The third child broke me in. I used to think my house had to be absolutely spotless before anyone could even knock on the door, but my little boy has taught me to lighten up and relax a bit!

Write From Karen said...

Lynn, you are hilarious!! And I like you already. I can totally relate to the chaos and it's okay, we ALL know chaos! (By the way, LOVE the CHAOS acronym!)

I've been using hand weights, too. And even though my arms feel like spaghetti, they're looking better. No pain, no gain, right?

And your housecoat looks like most of my clothes - a little bleach stain here, an ink blot here. *grin*

It was great to meet you. Hope you're having fun at the party!

Write From Karen

Nadine said...

Hi.I came by for the party. You are very funny and thank you for the laugh.

I hope you can come by for a visit. Have fun.

Deb said...

Great post! Hope your enjoying the party! I’ve been meeting tons of new people! Hope to try to visit at least half of them before Friday! You never know when you may meet a forever friend. Pop by for a visit if you get a chance! Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by my party. I love your introduction and writing style. And your house sounds like mine! I am always amazed at all that can be stashed in the sofa cushions. LOL

Jenn said...

Thank you for stopping by!!! You are too funny!! I just love some of what you have to say!!!

cltgrace said...

Glad I found the party post! Hope you've had a super week meeting all these great folks. I followed your Carle caterpillar here from another party place. So, just saying hey! I love meeting new folks~ Much success with Weight Watchers...how ever you're counting activity point..if it's working for you...yeah you!

Peek in on us at GraceFULL Days & say hi before you go! Skip over the Vicks Caring Tributes & vote for my Gracie Cakes story as one of their finalists~ Last day to vote...so thanks in advance. http://videos.vickscaringtributes.com/videos/index.html

GraceFULL blessing to you & yours~

Carmen

Anonymous said...

You live in a beautiful part of the country! I lived in Newport News years ago. Love the blog name and header pic. Hope you can stop by our place!

Betsy Carter said...

Hi,

I just stopped by to say hello, didn't know there would be a party going on?

I really enjoyed myself and was able to skip my afternoon pick me up of Chocolate Covered Cafe Noir Almonds, ...really am trying to avoid these until I reach goal, they are just so good though!

Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with all of us in such a humorous way!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

BetsC

Le Butterfly said...

hehehehehe

Great Post. I have also being partying.

love the recipe. Came here via the Healthy You challenge

dhimas130184 said...

it great, party time and the recipes is wonderful

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.