Friday, February 13, 2009

Ear-itating

Well, it's really not been a fantastic week here...

It seemed to start out all right with us finally tracking down and purchasing a Wii and a Wii fit. Astonishingly enough, after running to every computer store and Game Stop in town (and oddly enough, there are a LOT of them) (as a side, side note, Best Buy was in the Completely Not Helpful or Polite list of stores... which sort of sucks since we'd JUST added them back into places we shopped after being completely turned off by their weird ass "we have preferred customers of which YOU are not part of the list" policies, but you know, hey, Circuit City is going out of business, if Best Buy wants to join them in the Alliterative Antiquated Appliance Areas that's just FINE with me!) we finally found one at the Toys R Us. The people there were helpful, kind, polite, and enthusiastic about our purchase, so they may be seeing us again to get our various accessories and stuff... (Customer Service people! It's a good thing!)

Monday, my weigh in was good; I lost .4 pounds, which usually does not please me immensely, but as it snuck me over the 70 pounds lost, I was happy. (There was also something nice, when working out, the Bike and Treadmill ask me things like Time, Weight and Age, and I was able to push the down arrow from the default weight - which is 150 - for the first time...)

Tuesday was somewhat annoying; I've fallen victim to something I knew was going to happen. The Wii Fit acts as a scale, in addition to letting me do light workouts on it, and I've started weighing in every day... now, from Sunday to Tuesday, I apparently gained at least 1 pound every day. (No, I'm pretty sure that this isn't a problem with the scale itself, as Thomas has continued to either lose or maintain his weight...) Also, Thomas usually works from home on Tuesday, so I can hit the gym... but he had several meetings he couldn't miss, so he had to go in. Blech. Which means I didn't hit the gym. My babysitter couldn't come over on Tuesday... he was supposed to come on Wednesday, but...

Wednesday I woke up at 3am from a dream of talking to someone who was deaf to realize that I had an incredible pain in my head. My ear felt like someone had put a railroad spike through it. Also, I could hear all this swishy liquid noises. I took some pain medication and went back to sleep, hoping it would go away.

It didn't. In fact, when I got up on Wednesday morning, I felt worse. My head ached acutely and I was alternating hot and cold. On top of everything else, I ended up getting vomitously ill. (Sick is falling asleep on the bathroom floor. Flylady is waking up to realize that the bathroom floor is actually really clean.) So I called my babysitter and told him not to bother to come over on Wednesday, that I was sick, and I'd let him know...

I spent all day feeling ill and sorry for myself.

Thursday, according to the Wii, I had actually gained weight.

I swear, I must be the only person on the planet that this happens to... everyone else I know gets a stomach bug and loses 6+ pounds. Hell, Thomas gets the freaking sniffles and loses 4 pounds. It is decidedly unfair.

So, according to the Wii Fit, I am up 2.4 pounds since Monday's weigh in.

BLECH.

Now, since I spent all day Wednesday feeling sick, and even though I wasn't feeling completely top-notch yesterday, I had all of Wednesdays' chores to do, plus yesterdays. And Thomas, while he'd taken his work-from-home day yesterday, was No Help at All (charter member). So I ended up running all the errands and the grocery shopping by myself yesterday (we usually do the grocery shopping together!) and nearly getting into two seperate car accidents and just generally hating the world. And everyone in it.

And, of course, the Wii Fit tells me I've gained another .4 pounds today.

Just shoot me in the head. Right here. I won't move. Promise.

8 comments:

Becky Fyfe said...

I don't think the Wii Fit is as accurate as some say it is. Last week , it told my husband that he'd gained six pounds IN ONLY ONE DAY, and two days later, it showed him he had lost EIGHT pounds! But when he went to our official weigh-in that same day, he was not down 2 pounds overall; he was actually up half a pound.

Summer said...

I've heard a lot of people say that the Wii Fit does odd things with the weight readout. I don't have one (yet, my dad was supposed to get me one for Xmas, there's still a chance he'll come through which is what keeps me from buying the Fit for myself) but since I want one, I've been reading about it. Is your Fit used on carpet? Apparently carpet can really interfere with the scale, and there are supposed to be some little feet to use on carpet.... In any case, take the Wii Fit with a grain of salt -- it's a toy!

Sorry about the sick and the chores and the near-misses in the car. That's a heavy load of suck.

Big Girl said...

sorry things kinda suck right now. let's just chalk it up to a shitty weeke and move on. hope things are better for you soon.

Anonymous said...

yeah i am not 100% confident in the weight readout either. Any little thing (even a cat hair) touching the underside of the board screws with it so I always do a quick swipe with the vacuum before i use it. I keep telling myself to only do the body test once a week so I am not constantly annoyed by the weight thing, but I have been able to do that yet :p.

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

I don't think the WiiFit is accurate, so don't go by that. Just have fun with the games and bypass the BMI/weight part.

Congrats on your loss! 70 lbs. is amazing!!! I was almost there, but sabotaged myself last week :( Hoping to hit it this week though!

Me said...

That is a LOT of weight to lose. Sounds like a crappy week, but it sure was entertaining for me! (sorry!) Glad to find your blog!

Natalia said...

No, no, no, just threaten the Wii Fit with a hammer! Customer Service is key! :) Hope that you are feeling better. Weight always fluctuates during the week, so ignore all those numbers until you get to your actual weigh in day. Is there any way to disable the weigh in feature, if not, find hammer! :)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Yaay for 70 pounds! I made 150 my goal for the exact reason you mentioned: it's the default on the cardio equipment. LOL

Since I'm one of the wii-less, I'm no help at all. But I'd shoot it before I'd shoot you, fwiw. :)