Monday, March 16, 2009

Egg Xactly

I am the master of the cheap-point breakfast. Unfortunately, skimping on points in the morning has a tendency to lead me to over-eat after 8pm while I try to get in the 3 or 5 (or sometimes 9) points that I have left over at the end of the day...

(My current favorite low-points breakfast is Fiber One cereal, 1/2 cup skim milk, and 1/2 cup sliced strawberries. 1 point.)

So, while I do eat the Twigs and Berries breakfast a few times a week, I also have made it an unofficial rule for myself that I have to eat 4 or 5 point breakfasts at least three times a week. Thought I'd share one of my typical breakfasts with you today.

I make a lot of omelets.

You've got egg, cheese, and vegetables all right there, and it's a good way to get in several of your 8 (9?) healthy guidelines in a single bound...

This particular omelet is a pizza omelet, because let's face it, everyone loves pizza, right?

Ingredients:
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 slice low fat cheese
2 slices pepperoni, diced
1/2 cup mushrooms
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
garlic powder
oregano



Instructions:

1 - Mix egg, egg white, garlic powder and oregano together in a bowl. (I usually just sprinkle from the jar, if you need measurements, start with 1/2 tsp each and adjust to taste.)

2 - Coat frying pan with a little bit of cooking spray. Heat on medium high for about two minutes, then pour in the egg mixture. While eggs are cooking, prep your fillings.


3 - (Obviously, you can use any fillings you want, this is just an example.) I divide the cheese in half to better fit in the omelet and dice anything else that I'm going to use, then lay it out on a plate or my cutting board.


4 - when the egg mixture is mostly cooked through on top (not liquidy, and slightly bubbled up from the bottom, turn off the heat and add your stuffings to one side of the egg. Squeeze on the pizza sauce. Use a small spatula and fold over the second half. Cover for a minute to let cheese melt.


This omelet is 4 or 5 points, depending on how much pepperoni you used. For variety, try any of the below mixes:

Spices that work well in eggs:

Dill
Cilantro
Smoked Paprika
Oregano
Rosemary
Tarragon
Chili Powder
Cumin

Vegetable Options:
Tomato
Asparagus
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Diced Onions
Bell Peppers

Cheese and Meats:
Diced chicken
Diced Sausage
Turkey Bacon
Pepperoni
Ham
Low Fat Cheddar
Mozzarella
Cream Cheese
Pepper Jack
Provolone
Swiss

Mix and Match to your taste!

4 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

You know, I need to get more eggs in my diet. I may just have to start having them for breakfast a couple times a week! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

wow yum! I am going to try that for a dinner this week I think.

Unknown said...

Looks great cause I LOVE eggs. I'd have to leave out the mushrooms though cause I don't like the texture of them...

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Thanks! That's a great idea!

I have skimpy-POINT breakfasts, too (no more than 3 POINTS), but I'm finding it's affecting me in the afternoon. I'm going to try and change things up a bit by upping the breakfast and see how it works out...